The Hockey Family officially began in the summer of 2012 by our founder Taff Ahmed. Since then, we have grown a large social media presence with more than 30,000+ followers on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and now Youtube. Our website features original content provided by our dedicated volunteer journalists, who all have a passion for hockey and writing about it.
Our mission statement is to provide the best possible hockey media to our hockey family, that’s you guys by the way. To grow hockey by publicising it as much as possible and to be the first port of call for all hockey information.
To understand more about how it all began why not read an interview our founder Taff Ahmed did for ‘A Hockey World‘. It might give you an insight into how passionate the founder is and how great it is that ‘The Hockey Family’ is expanding to include even more volunteer journalists who are dedicated to promoting hockey and writing about it.
- What is The Hockey Family?
To understand what ‘The Hockey Family’ is about you must first look at how it originated. So here’s a little insight about how the Hockey Family was created, although in essence it already existed.
I was volunteering at a hockey event in England, which I do on a regularly basis and a few of the usual hockey volunteers (friends) were talking about hockey. We discussed how people who volunteer, play, coach, support and even officiate have become like extended family to us all because of the close interaction that each of us has when events take place. We also considered and realised there was a 3 degrees of separation principle associated within our sport and that somehow everyone knows everyone else in some way shape or form either directly or indirectly. So from that day the concept of ‘The Hockey Family’ was born. I created Twitter and Facebook accounts and even a web domain was bought eventually.
The idea behind it is simple really, it’s to connect the hockey people around the world through one channel, firstly by providing information about hockey events happening around the world and supporting it where we can and secondly boosting the profile of hockey through the various social media outlets that we are on which are quite a few. We now have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and even a Vine account (Vine no longer running), to name just a few. My passion and aim is for ‘The Hockey Family’ to be a recognised name throughout the world as being a brand that brings the hockey people around the world together. So simply put ‘The Hockey Family’ is about the hockey people around the world coming together.
- How long ago did it start?
I suppose it was started way back in 2010 when I started providing the local community information about hockey events taking place in the area and even coaching camps and getting people to play hockey for the local club via my personal Twitter account. I never thought to create a separate social media accounts until about 2012 as ‘The Hockey Family’ and our first Tweet was sent I think in July 2012 before the London Olympics and it’s been growing ever since.
- What type of satisfaction does it report to you on a personal level?
I am very passionate about hockey and promote it wherever and whenever I can. I get immense satisfaction from posting messages on Twitter, Facebook and other social media outlets knowing that I am helping grow the sport that I love so much. I have been coaching and playing hockey for over 25 years without any return or financial reward. I would love it if people who are as passionate about hockey as I am. It would really help if people become volunteer journalists and report on events on behalf of The Hockey Family especially if journalism was a passion of theirs or something they were working towards.
- What future do you see for THF?
Oh this is tough one. Maybe I should put these as bullet points as there are quite a few that ‘The Hockey Family’ could do in the future although some may take some time where other could develop quickly:
I would like
- To see ‘The Hockey Family’ become a brand that people recognise throughout the world that brings hockey people together and gives a good all round service where we can.
- To create merchandise for people to support ‘The Hockey Family’ and a percentage of the profits to go back to grass roots hockey in terms of Sponsorship and Grants (This is a very long term plan)
- To start providing hockey camps for enthusiastic young hockey players and help them develop their hockey career.
- To one day provide sponsorship to hockey people to help them in their hockey careers. This is one of my long term plans.
- To one day provide financial support for clubs that might need it through sponsorship and grants, although I know NGBs already provide grants to clubs at the moment but this would be something additional that could be offered. This is another one of my long term plans.
- The Hockey Family to be about the people that coach, play, support and officiate on a day to day basis and help them where ever I/we possibly can through THF
All of the above is going to take a long time to happen but hopefully one day the dream will come true.
We have already started providing THF hoodies and other apparel for purchase but haven’t really promoted it that much hopefully they will become popular and we can start giving back to ‘The Hockey Family’ by sponsoring people in the near future.
We also appreciate A Hockey World taking time to do this interview and really appreciate their time and efforts so far and wish them the very best for the future.